Submission deadline: November 1, 2018
The Young Buck Poetry Prize is an annual contest
with a submission deadline in November.
CV2 magazine has created a new annual poetry contest exclusively for writers under the age of 35. The YOUNG BUCK poetry prize is awarded to the author of the single best submitted poem, along with $1000 and publication in CV2. Two honourable mentions are also awarded, each with a cash prize.
See the winners from previous years
2018 contest judge
Mallory Tater is a writer from Ottawa. Her debut book of poetry This Will Be Good (Book*hug Press) was released Spring 2018 and made CBC's 14 Canadian Poets to Watch list. Mallory’s poetry & short stories have been published in literary magazines across Canada such as Room, The Malahat Review, The Fiddlehead, The New Quarterly, Carousel, Poetry is Dead, Prism International and Arc Magazine. She is the publisher of Rahila’s Ghost Press, a poetry chapbook press. Her debut novel, The Birth Yard, has been contracted with the Bukowski Agency.
Full contest rules
- Participating writers must be under the age of 35 at the time of the contest deadline. All entrants must be willing to provide proof of age if requested.
- Open to Canadian and International poets.
- Entry fee: $26 (first entry, includes 1-year subscription), $16 (subsequent entries)
- Due to high international shipping costs, the subscription term for contest entrants residing in the US is 9 months (3 issues). For international residents the subscription term is 3 months (1 issue).
- Your entry may consist of 1-3 poems, and is not to exceed 80 lines total.
- Deadline for all contest entries: November 1, 2018 at midnight central time.
- Early Bird Deadline: Enter before October 1st and submit an extra poem at no charge! The length of the extra poem must not exceed 80 lines.
- Do not identify yourself on your attachment. Enter your name and address information in the form provided in Submittable. In the space reserved for a cover letter please enter the title(s) of your piece(s) and line count. On occasion, CV2 magazine makes subscriber names and addresses available to external organizations. If you do not wish to receive such mailings, please state this clearly in the space reserved for a cover letter.
- Your entry must be formatted on 8 1/2″ x 11″ using single spacing and a 12 point font.
- Winners of the 2018 Young Buck Poetry Prize will be notified by email (or telephone) and results will be available on the CV2 website in early January 2019.
- Each piece must be original, unpublished, not submitted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor accepted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition for which it is also eligible to win a prize.
- Winning pieces will be published in CV2 magazine, with authors paid for publication.