Extended submission deadline: November 22, 2020
The Young Buck Poetry Prize is an annual contest
with a submission deadline in November.
The Young Buck poetry prize is awarded to the author of the single best submitted poem, along with $1000 and publication in CV2. Four honourable mentions are also awarded, each with a cash prize.
The winner of the 2019 Young Buck Poetry Prize of $1000 is:
Jake Byrne for "Parallel Volumes"
Honourable Mentions and $150 go to:
Alycia Pirmohamed for "Burial Plot"
Harpreet Kang for "Dad Gave Me Poetry"
Allie Duff for "Necessary Sins"
Natasha Ramoutar for "Atlas of a Lost World"
The prize-winning poems will be published in our Summer 2020 Issue. Thank you to our wonderful 2019 judge, Shazia Hafiz Ramji, and to everyone who submitted their work!
See the winners from previous years
2020 contest judge
Terese Mason Pierre is a writer and editor whose work has appeared in Canthius, The Puritan, Quill and Quire, and Strange Horizons, among others. She is currently the Senior Poetry Editor of Augur Magazine, a Canadian speculative literature journal, and the author of chapbooks Surface Area (Anstruther Press, 2019) and Manifest (Gap Riot Press, 2020). Terese lives and works in Toronto.
Full contest rules
- Participating writers must be 35 years of age or younger at the time of the contest deadline. All entrants must be willing to provide proof of age if requested.
- Open to Canadian and International poets.
- Entry fee: $26 (first entry, includes 1-year subscription), $16 (subsequent entries)
- Due to high international shipping costs, the subscription term for contest entrants residing in the US is 9 months (3 issues). For international residents the subscription term is 3 months (1 issue).
- Your entry may consist of 1-3 poems, and is not to exceed 80 lines total.
- EXTENDED deadline for all contest entries: November 22, 2020 at 11:59pm central time.
- Early Bird Deadline: Enter by October 15th and submit an extra poem at no charge! The length of the extra poem must not exceed 80 lines.
- Do not identify yourself on your attachment. Enter your name and address information in the form provided in Submittable. In the space reserved for a cover letter please enter the title(s) of your piece(s) and line count. On occasion, CV2 magazine makes subscriber names and addresses available to external organizations. If you do not wish to receive such mailings, please state this clearly in the space reserved for a cover letter.
- Your entry must be formatted on 8 1/2″ x 11″ using single spacing and a 12 point font.
- Winners of the 2020 Young Buck Poetry Prize will be notified by email (or telephone) and results will be available on the CV2 website in early January 2021.
- Each piece must be original, unpublished, not submitted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor accepted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition for which it is also eligible to win a prize.
- Winning pieces will be published in CV2 magazine, with authors paid for publication.