Submission deadline: Oct 1, 2016
The Young Buck Poetry Prize is an annual contest
with a submission deadline in October.
CV2 magazine has created a new annual poetry contest exclusively for writers under the age of 35. The YOUNG BUCK poetry prize is awarded to the author of the single best submitted poem, along with $1000 and publication in CV2. Three honourable mentions are also awarded, each with a cash prize.
2016 contest judge
George Murray is the author of six books of poetry, including Diversion (ECW, 2015), Whiteout (2012), The Rush to Here (Nightwood, 2007) and The Hunter (McClelland & Stewart, 2003), as well as one best-selling book of aphorisms, Glimpse (ECW 2010), and the children’s book Wow Wow and Haw Haw (Breakwater, 2014).
His work has appeared in magazines and journals across Canada and around the world, including, Brick, CV2, Fiddlehead, Geist, Granta (UK), Iowa Review (USA), London Magazine (UK), Mid-American Review (USA), New American Writing (USA), New Quarterly, New Welsh Review (UK), Pasture (NZ), The Walrus, and has appeared in over 20 anthologies.
George has taught poetry at several institutions, most recently in UBC’s MFA program and at the University of Toronto. He is the former poetry editor at the Literary Review of Canada, and from 2003 to 2011 was the owner and operator of the popular literary website Bookninja.com. He is currently the editor of NewPoetry.ca. He lives in St. John’s where he is the city’s poet laureate.
Full contest rules
- Participating writers must be under the age of 35 at the time of the contest deadline. All entrants must be willing to provide proof of age if requested.
- Open to Canadian and International poets.
- Entry fee: $26 (first entry, includes 1-year subscription), $16 (subsequent entries)
- Due to high international shipping costs, the subscription term for contest entrants residing in the US is 9 months (3 issues). For international residents the subscription term is 3 months (1 issue).
- Each poem is not to exceed 48 lines.
- Deadline for all contest entries: October 1, 2016 at midnight central time.
- Do not identify yourself on your attachment. Enter your name and address information in the form provided in Submittable. In the space reserved for a cover letter please enter the title(s) of your piece(s) and line count. On occasion, CV2 magazine makes subscriber names and addresses available to external organizations. If you do not wish to receive such mailings, please state this clearly in the space reserved for a cover letter.
- Your entry must be formatted on 8 1/2″ x 11″ using single spacing and a 12 point font.
- Winners of the 2016 Young Buck Poetry Prize will be notified by email (or telephone) and results will be available on the CV2 website in early January 2017.
- Each piece must be original, unpublished, not submitted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor accepted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition for which it is also eligible to win a prize.
- Winning pieces will be published in CV2 magazine, with authors paid for publication.
See the winners from previous years