Write under pressure
Registration deadline: Friday April 6, 2018 at midnight
The 2018 contest takes place April 14-15, 2018
CV2’s 2018 2 Day Poem contest is now closed. The winning poems will be posted on our website July 7, 2018!
In 2019 CV2’s 2 Day Poem contest will take place April 20-21, 2019. Registration for CV2’s 2019 2 Day Contest will open January 2019. A big thank you to all that participated this year, hope see you all again next year!
The 10 words for 2018:
What is the 2-Day Poem Contest?
This annual contest challenges you to write an original poem in 48 hours — with only one catch. The final poem must include ten words that we provide.
Official 2-Day Poet's Rules
- You have from 12 AM, (CDT, Winnipeg time) April 14, 2018 to 12 AM (CDT) April 16, 2018 (48 hours) to write your best poem, using all 10 words listed above.
- The list of words will be available on our website for the duration of the contest period.
- Each word must be used at least once in the body of the final entry. Words may be used in the title, but must also appear in the body of the poem.
- Each word must be spelled exactly as provided. Words provided should not be altered in any way. Tense changes, suffixes, plurals, etc. are not permitted, although caps and lowercase uses are both permitted.
- The words may not be used as proper nouns.
- Each word must be used in proper context to qualify. If you are unsure what a word means, look the word up in a dictionary. If a word has multiple meanings you may decide which meaning to use. If you use the word more than once in the poem, the meaning of the word does not necessarily have to be the same. We use Dictionary.com for all our definitions.
- "roric" is not in Dictionary.com so here is the Free Dictionary's definition
- Submitted poems may not exceed 48 lines of text not including the title. Stanza breaks DO NOT count as lines, nor does the title.
- Only one poem may be entered per participant.
- Racist, homophobic or defamatory writing will be disqualified.
You must be registered and pay the contest fee in order to submit your poem for judging. The registration deadline for 2018 has passed. If you aren't registered, feel free to play along, but your poem will not be considered. This contest takes place yearly in April.
"Play & Read" discount - $26. Includes registration plus a 1-year subscription to CV2 magazine. You save over 60% off our standard subscription price.
Registration only - $16.
First Prize: $500 plus a one-year subscription and publication in CV2 magazine.
Second Prize: $300 plus a one-year subscription and publication in CV2 magazine.
Third Prize: $150 plus a one-year subscription and publication in CV2 magazine.
Editor’s Choice: one-year subscription and publication in CV2 magazine
Editor’s Mom’s Choice: a one-year subscription and publication in CV2 magazine
People’s Choice: a one-year subscription and publication in CV2 magazine
Winners in all categories will also be published online.
Everyone who registers for the contest gets a copy of the issue featuring the winners. (International residents note that your issue may arrive up to 6 weeks after publication date.)
What's unique about this contest?
It's a contest that challenges you to write under pressure. The 10 words will lead you to new creative places - and a poem you never would have written otherwise.